Final Blog Post - Media Reflection

My Media Reflection
Over the course of this semester, I have realized how much media has shaped our communities and this generation. Personally, media has altered the way I perceive the world, trapping myself in a feeling of needing to purchase the next “trendy” thing or a persona of an influencer to fit in. Of five months of this Critical Thinking class, I have begun to take a step back when analyzing general media and advertisements, and the spontaneous feeling of needing the next cool thing has severely diminished. I do not yet consider myself completely media literate, as there are still advertisements that are targeted towards myself that I could overlook when I am not looking for the mischevious ways corporations try to your attention. When watching television with my family, and seeing those Nike and Adidas advertisements about achieving greatness, I have learned to analyze the strategies these companies emotionally trigger your want for their product. I believe it is important to become media literate, as it can save you money in the long-run and help you avoid the blind “white sheep” crowd, that always purchases the next big thing. Being an educated consumer allows you to buy the things that will actually benefit you, and not what emotionally appeals to you. Keeping this log has allowed me to reach into my natural temptation as a human, and reprogram the way I feel and interpret the real messages giant corporations send to us. Some of my thoughts on media literacy are how can we integrate media literacy into the mindset of the younger generation and how could we get media literacy mainstream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juice Wrld Sudden Death?

My Relation With Social Media

Am I The Only One?